Thursday, March 11, 2010

Onion color lesson

I wanted to go over color options in my adult class. 
I set up some onions in a still life and did these demos.
The first demo I did was as a value study with just one color.
The next one on the right was done with just two colors.
The third one was done with what we thought were realistic colors.
And the fourth done with more intensity and exaggerated colors.
 I did this to show the students that exaggerating the colors really makes a painting interesting and fun.
I wanted them to step out of their safe zone and explore colors that they wouldn't normally choose.
These are about 3 x 5 inches each.

6 comments:

Vern Schwarz said...

Maria these are really great, with each painting showing it's own strength. The impressionist in me of course loves the last one, but after doing a one colour only piece, I really appreciate the value study as well. All four are definitely strong paintings.

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

Vern, thank you!
It was important to show the students that they have options and to try them. Using this formula as thumbnails and studies will help them to see some of the options they have.

Damião Vieira said...

Hello Maria.
beautiful studies of color and form.
Congratulations

Dennis said...

Very nice work Maria! Your colors are so rich in all your paintings. You handle watercolor with much authority. Keep up the great work!

jyothisethu said...

maria,
went through the entire blog...
all the pictures are beautiful...
congratulations...

Lori Andrews said...

Thank you for your kind comments, am glad you found me, now I have a wonderful place to come and view, Awesome works of art. Thank you :)