Tuesday, January 6, 2009

oranges, oranges, oranges




I am pretty lucky that I have my classes to teach. I continually get to go over the basics (that we often forget) and I am able to do demos to show the techniques I am teaching. Today, I had a new student who was interested in watercolor. The rest of the class was interested in trying acrylic since they had been painting with watercolors since fall. So I chose a simple subject, strong light and some texture. My watercolor demos went well and I ended up with one strong colored and the other alittle muted. The acrylic demo was great fun and the students also did some nice work. It is always a good day when the students dive in and end up with work they are proud of.
So, here are my oranges, oranges, oranges, 1, 2 and 3.

4 comments:

Dewberry Fine Art said...

Oranges are such a great subject. I love the way you changed color and light in each one. Great demo to do.

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

In fact I have two others from the children's class that I did not post yet. The demos are a great opportunity to simplify the subject matter so that my beginning students can understand what my lesson is. thank you!

Beth said...

do you ever do oil, or allow it to be useds in your workshops, or are you strictly watercolor?

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

I have only taught watercolor in my workshops. There are so many applications and techniques to share and I haven't run out of ideas yet. I haven't worked in oils since forever(30 years)but would love to learn again one day. I am trying acrylics now...